Number 108 is quite significant not only in Hinduism but also in other philosophies like Buddhism, Jainism, Angel Numbers and many more. 108 is a Divine Sacred Number in almost all the religions and faiths. But why 108 is scared auspicious universal number? Lets see some interesting facts.
The Universal Connection
108 is the universal number happening everywhere all around the universe. Clear proof (Pratyaksha Pramaan) of this is:
108 is the connecting number between sun, earth and moon. The diameter of the Sun is 108 times of the distance between Sun and Earth, and the diameter of the Moon is 108 times the distance between Earth and Moon. The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth.
Such connection between the 3 celestial bodies, sun moon and earth is showing the importance of 108 and this is the reason why many rituals includes 108 as it is an auspicious number.
Sun – cause of life. Sun is source of energy. All the planets revolve around the sun. Sun is depicts soul.
Moon – Cause of Rasa in prakriti (mother nature) is moon. Vegetation grows by the soma(nector) of moon and phases of moon affects oceans and rivers. Moon and mind are synonyms to each other.
Earth – where we live, where life exists. When soul, mind and prana conjoins, life begins on earth and consciousness become alive.
These beads of sun moon and earth are connected through the thread of 108. It in itself signifies 108 is of great importance and highly impacts the Life, Human beings. And we can use auspicious 108 is great manner.
Mantra Chanting and Names of God
It is believed that Chanting mantra for 108 times is very beneficial. There are 108 beads in the rosary (mala) which is used for chanting the mantras. 108 names of God or Goddesses are mentioned in various sacred texts like 108 names of Lord Shiva, Goddess Durga, Lord Hanuman and of other Gods and Goddesses. Chanting the 108 names of the God is considered very auspicious and fruitful.
Religious 108 places of Goddess
There are 108 shakti peetha, connected with the Goddess Sati who is the consort of Lord Shiva. She sacrificed her body in the yagna of his father Daksha, who has insulted his husband Lord Shiva by not inviting Shiva in the auspicious ceremony. Shiva out of grief and love for the her carried the body of Goddess Sati, remembering Sati. Lord Vishnu has cut her body into 108 parts with his sudarshan chakra to release Shiva from the state of sorrow and grief. The body parts of Sati has fallen at different places and there become the Shakti peetha. People worship the goddess at these peethas and these places are the powerful place for Tantra Sadhna.
108 Gopis of Lord Krishna and Raas Leela
Communion of Gopis with lord krishna is raas leela. Raas is the ultimate bliss and joy which is the fruit of Lord Krishna Bhakti.
Gopi – ‘Go’ + ‘Pi’ Go means Upanishads and Pi means to drink. One who has the nector of upanishads, sacred hindu scriptures is the Gopi. They where not the casual cow herds, they are the pure souls beyond any gender. As woman depicts love and emotions, these souls took female form and born. When these pure souls and God meets and dances, what a view, what a feel, ultimate and permanent communion it is! Krishna celebrated raas leela with 108 Gopis thus again 108 has a relation here.
Astrology & Auspicious 108
- Multiplying number of planets (9) to the zodiac signs (12) gives result as 108. 12×9 = 108
- There are 27 constellations (Nakshatra), which fall under zodiac signs. Each nakshatra contains 4 charans and multipying 24 to 4 gives 108, 27 x 4 = 108
- Adding 1+0+8 = 9, which come up the number of planets.
Sanskrit the Language of Vedic Times
Sanskrit language has 54 letters. Each letter has a masculine (Shiva) and feminine (Shakti) energy 54 X 2 = 108
Breathe 108 🙂 – connection of breath and 108
We breathe in 21600 times a day, Approx half times – 10800 times from right nostril activating pingala nadi, solar energy and 10800 times from left nostril activating ida, lunar energy.
Sri Yantra and 108
On the Sri Yantra, the 3 lines intersects at 54 points (marmas). Each intersections has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti qualities. 54 (intersections) x 2 (feminine and masculine qualities) = 108. That indicates, 108 points defines the Sri Yantra.
Sacred Texts and 108
There are 108 Upanishads. Bhagavat has 108000 Shlokas (verses).
- There are 108 forms of dance in the Indian traditions.
- Nataraja’s cosmic dance has 108 Bharatanatyam poses.
- the number 108 has a large number of Factors
Angel Number 108
Angel Number 108 represents that all the prayers are heard and getting manifested. Message is you can achieve anything that you desire. You are dedicated and confident towards your goal. Focus on the things you want, Right ways and positive energies will get attracted automatically to accomplish the tasks.
Yoga & Auspicious 108
Some Yogis follow the ritual of practicing 108 times sun salutation(surya namaskar). Surrendering to the lord surya and continuous practice give more power, more life force.
Other aspects of 108
1 is starting, beginning, the birth. 8 is the ending, death. 0 is the world as everything is originated from 0 and will dissolve into 0.
In astrology First house represents the birth, self. Eighth house represents Longevity (duration of life). Inbetween is the life.
1 symbolises Purusha, Higher consciousness and masculine energy, 0 symbolises Prakriti, Maya(seen illusionary world), the feminine energy. 8 symbolises infinity and eternity. Purusha and Prakriti work conjointly for creation.
Other numerological calculations
- Sum of digits of 108 is 1+0+8 = 9. Nine is the greatest of all digits. Afterwards in the counting, 0 to 9 digits create numbers therfore number 9 holds great significance.
- In Hindu religion, number 9 is very important. Keeping the importance of number 9, Rishi Vyas has created 9 Purans. Mahabharat has 18 chapters (1+8 = 9), Geeta has 18 chapters (1+8 = 9).
- Navratri, the festival of 9 days dedicated to the 9 forms of mother Durga.
- Navrasa, 9 rasas (emotions) that affects body and mind. These are Hasya(laughter), Raudra (anger), Karuna (sorrow), Shringara (love/beauty), , Veera ( heroism/courage), Bhayanaka (terror/fear), Bibhatsya (disgust), Vismaya (surprise/wonder), and Shantha (peace or tranquility). We show these according to situation and condition of mind.
- Navdha bhakti, there are Nine ways to connect with beloved god with love are Shravan (Listening the name of God), Kirtan (Chanting the name God), Samaran (remembering the God), Paad sevan (Service at his feet), Archana (worshipping as per scriptures), Vandana (prostrating before God), Dasya (Being Servant), Sakhya (Friendship with God), Atma Nivedan (Offering one’s self).
- There are navaratnas (9 gemstones) as per Vedic Astrology and these are Ruby, Natural Pearl, Red Coral, Emerald, Yellow Sapphire, Diamond, Blue Sapphire, Hessonite, Cat’s Eye Chrysoberyl. Wearing these gemstones help in enhancing the good effects of planets and dispelling the malefic effects.
- Hanuman Chalisa talks about Nav nidhis – 9 types of treasures in a chaupai of hanuman chalisa “Ashta siddhi nav nidhi ke data as var deen janaki mata”
According to Indian mythology, there are 4 Yugs
Satyug – consists of 172,800 years (1+7+2+8 = 18 == (1+8 = 9)
TretaYug consists of 1296000 years (1+2+9+6 = 18 = (1+8 = 9)
DwaparYug consists of 864000 years (8+4+6) = 18 = (1+8 = 9)
Kaliyug consists of 432000 years (4+3+2) = 9