The most compassionate, the Lord of ghosts, the aghori, Lord of innocents, Lord of death and many more are the adjectives to the Lord Shiva. He is the destroyer among the trimurti. Shiva is the one who has no beginning and no end, he is nirguna and saguna, householder and renunciated. He is adiyogi, mahadeva and mahakaal. Devotees chant his name with love and seek his blessing for many things. Shiva is the God who get pleased easily and by all without any discrimination. He loves all equally whether the seeker is demon or god or human. And for this reason Shiva is one of the most worshipped Hindu God. Therefore here we are listing two the most effective, powerful and ancient shiva mantras practised since ages.
The most powerful and ancient Shiva Mantras are:
Shiva Panchakshari Mantra
ॐ नमः शिवाय॥
Om Namah Shivaya
Om Namah Shivaya is the adoration to the Lord Shiva.
Universal Mantra Om is chanted before the panchakshar mantra – “Namah Shivaya“. Panchakshar mantra means the five letter mantra. The five letters are na, ma, shi, va, ya and these five represents the five elements, the five senses and more. The panchtatva or the five elements are earth (prithvi), water (jal), fire (agni), air (vayu), sky/ether (akash). The association of mantra syllables with five elements is as follows.
- na governs the earth element
- ma associates with water element
- shi to fire
- va to air
- ya governs element sky
Thus chanting om namah shivaya balances the five elements, the chakras and internalizes the senses.
Benefits Of Chanting “Om Namah Shivaya”
- The mantra helps in calming the mind. One feels light after chanting om namah shivaya.
- The chanting releases the stress, anxiety and depression. This shiva mantra brings peace of mind and makes one happy and balanced.
- Chakra gets balanced with shiva panchakshar mantra.
- Students can chant the mantra to improves concentration, awareness and memory.
- Om namah shivaya is the way to pratyahara. It internalises the five senses (panch gyanendriya).
- On the top Om namah shivaya is the mantra of liberation.
- Vibrations generated by chanting shuts off thoughts and one experiences the bliss.
- Chanting or meditation balances the 5 elements and hence maintain the good health.
- This shiva mantra is a tonic to brain.
- It also helps in boosting metabolism and stabilizing the heart rate by reducing stress.
- It balances the blood pressure too.
- Recitation of “Om Namah Shivaya” is the best way to release emotional pain.
- The mantra is connection between the chanter and Shiva. Once the connection is made without any hurdles one gets the blessings of Lord Shiva.
There are lot many benefits to mantra. Chant & Experience!!! Fill Yourself With Positivity!!!
If you are chanting then do it at least for 108 times. Why 108 times? See here. Or meditation on the mantra is also another way to make the connection with the lord, it attunes to the higher frequencies. Do it with the rhythm of breath.
One can also say the mantra in the form of kirtan. There are so many ways, listen to your inner voice to connect.
Mrityunjaya Mantra and MahaMrityunjaya Mantra
ॐ त्र्यम्बकं यजामहे सुगन्धिं पुष्टिवर्धनम्
उर्वारुकमिव बन्धनान् मृत्योर्मुक्षीय मामृतात्॥
Om Tryambakam Yajamahe Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam
Urvarukamiva Bandhanan Mrityor Mukshiya Maamritat॥
O the lord with three eyes, worshipped and prayed, the fragrant one, the one who nourishes. Please relieve us from the bondages and free us from the cycle of death same as the ripen melon detaches itself from the branch.
ॐ हौं जूं सः ॐ भूर्भुवः स्वः ॐ त्र्यम्बकं यजामहे सुगन्धिं पुष्टिवर्द्धनम्।
उर्वारुकमिव बन्धनान्मृत्योर्मुक्षीय मामृतात् ॐ स्वः भुवः ॐ सः जूं हौं ॐ ॥
Om Haum Joom Sah Om Bhur Bhuvah Svah Om Tryambakam Yajamahe Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam
Urvarukamiva Bandhanan Mrityor Mukshiya Maamritat Om Svah Bhuvah Om Sah Joom Haum Om॥
The mantra is the more powerful form of mrityunjaya mantra and hence called maha mrityunjaya mantra. This Shiva mantra is for moksha. The mantra is one of the oldest shiva mantra mentioned in Rigveda. Mahamrityunjaya mantra is composed of ॐ हौं जूं सः ॐ भूर्भुवः स्वः + Mrityunjaya Mantra + ॐ स्वः भुवः ॐ सः जूं हौं ॐ
Benefits Of Chanting “Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra”
- Continuous chanting removes the fear of mortality and leads to liberation.
- This is the protection mantra. Not only it protects from the untimely death but also relieves from deadly disease or accidents.
- Any kind of financial issues or disputes can be resolved by the maha mrityunjaya mantra.
- Chanting mahamrityunjaya mantra removes the bad effects of planets in one’s horoscope.
- The mantra has immense power in itself to release the karmic issues.
- Maha mrityunjaya mantra gives protection against evil forces.
- Gives material comforts and liberates the soul from the death and birth cycle.
- Stress, anxiety, depression and all kind of fears fumes away by chanting shiva mantra.
- It purifies the mind and increases positive vibes.
- The trayambak or the mahamrityunjaya mantra brings joy, protection and prosperity to the life.
What you get from chanting or meditation on these shiva mantras depends on what you are seeking and how you are doing. Continuous practice with faith can give you whatever you want be it liberation, powers or anything. But the whole purpose to cut the cord of birth and death. We born because of the leftover karmas and we do more as we born which leads to the cycle of birth and death. This loop has to be broken and seed of karma has to be burnt. All the suffering is because of the deeds we do. Surrender your deeds to Lord and chant the mantra. The shiva mantras will take care of you and relieve you from any kind of suffering.
Chant the shiva mantras with faith and devotion!!!
JOIN US ON
More From Veda Pathshala